Back to Work failing Campaspe residents
25 July 2016
Monday 25 July 2016
The Andrews Labor Government’s Back to Work Scheme is failing residents in small communities across Campaspe, the latest figures released by the State Revenue Office show.
Member for Murray Plains and Leader of The Nationals Peter Walsh and Member for Euroa and Deputy Leader Steph Ryan said that just a handful of jobs had been created in the local area since Labor introduced the scheme in April last year.
“Despite promising to create 100,000 jobs, Labor’s failed Back to Work scheme has closed after supporting less than 12,000 positions,” Mr Walsh said.
“For a government which promised to create 100,000 full-time jobs within two years, this is an embarrassing outcome.”
Just two jobs were supported in Corop and only one in Girgarre, Merrigum, Rushworth and Tongala. None were subsidised in Rochester and only 12 in Kyabram.
"The program's failure is particularly concerning given current youth unemployment rates," Ms Ryan said.
“Youth unemployment rate in the Shepparton region, which includes these areas, is at 9.8 per cent with 1,341 young people unemployed and looking for work.
“Daniel Andrews must come up with a better plan if he is serious about creating jobs in Victoria.”
These comments follow concerns about the legitimacy of some of the payments made under the program.
“There are serious concerns that the Back to Work scheme has been rorted,” Mr Walsh said.
“After spending $40 million on the program, it appears not all payments made were above board.
“The Coalition has requested a full investigation by the Victorian Auditor General to ensure taxpayers’ money hasn’t been wasted,” Mr Walsh said.