Back to Work failing Seymour residents

22 July 2016


Friday 22 July 2016

The Andrews Labor Government’s Back to Work Scheme is failing Seymour residents the latest figures released by the State Revenue Office show.

Member for Euroa and Deputy Leader of The Nationals Steph Ryan said that just one job had been created in Seymour since Labor introduced the scheme in April last year.

“Despite promising to create 100,000 jobs, Labor’s failed Back to Work scheme has closed after supporting less than 12,000 positions,” Ms Ryan said.

“In Seymour this translated to only one job being created and only five in Broadford.

“For a government which promised to create 100,000 full-time jobs within two years, this is an embarrassing outcome.

“Youth unemployment rate in the Hume region, which includes Seymour, is at 13.2 per cent with 1,596 young people unemployed and looking for work.

“Daniel Andrews must come up with a better plan if he is serious about creating jobs in Victoria.”

Ms Ryan’s comments follow concerns about the legitimacy of some of the payments made under the program.

“There are serious concerns that the Back to Work scheme has been rorted,” Ms Ryan said.

“After spending $40 million on the program, it appears not all payments made were above board.

“The Coalition has requested a full investigation by the Victorian Auditor General to ensure taxpayers’ money hasn’t been wasted,” Ms Ryan said.

 

Together we can make a difference

Help build a better Euroa

Volunteer Now
Created with NationBuilder