COVID-19 Community Update: New restrictions in force from midnight (12 February 2021)
12 February 2021
Victorians will go back into lockdown as of 11.59pm tonight as a result of Melbourne’s Holiday Inn cluster which has now grown to 13 cases.
These restrictions will remain in place for 5 days until 11.59pm Wednesday 17 February.
Under the restrictions announced today, there are again only four reasons to leave home:
- shopping for necessary goods
- caregiving or compassionate reasons
- essential work or permitted education
- exercise (can leave home for two hours a day for exercise)
Additionally, for the first time the government has put the 5km travel limit in place across all of Victoria. This means you cannot travel more than 5km from your place of residence for exercise or to obtain necessary goods or services. (If you live more than 5km from the shops, you must travel to the nearest place).
Legal directions have not yet been released, but a summary of the restrictions, including who is deemed to be an essential worker, is available here.
Current exposure sites can be found here.
There are no cases or exposure sites in regional Victoria, but please check this list if you have been to Melbourne in recent days.
MANDATORY FACE MASKS
Face masks are again required at all times in public.
It is not mandatory for children under 12 years of age to wear a face covering, however families can make that decision on an individual basis. Children under two years should never wear a face mask due to choking and strangulation risks.
Those with a medical reason, a professional reason or when it’s just not practical, like when running or exercising, are not required to wear a mask, however are expected to carry a face mask or covering at all times to wear when possible.
- NSW has no plans to close the border with Victoria.
- Queensland will close its borders to Greater Melbourne from 1am Saturday.
- Western Australia will introduce a hard border with Victoria for 72 hours, starting from 9pm (AEDT) tonight.
- Tasmania will introduce a hard border with Victoria from 11.59pm tonight, to be reviewed in five days if Victoria’s lockdown ends.
- ACT will introduce a mandatory 14-days self isolation period for anyone from Victoria arriving after 11.59pm tonight.
- Northern Territory has declared Melbourne airport and all of Greater Melbourne a COVID hotspot, preventing Victorians from flying to the territory.
This is a difficult time for many people in our community. I know that the short timelines around this decision will leave many businesses again suffering losses and my thoughts are with those who now find themselves postponing weddings, funerals and events.
If you have any questions, concerns or just need to reach out, please contact me at [email protected].
I will continue to provide information as it comes to hand. In the meantime take care of yourselves, your families and your friends.