Regional Living Expo

Labor axes popular Regional Living Expo

17 December 2015


Thursday 17 December 2015

The popular Regional Living Expo has been added to the long list of regional projects axed by the Andrews Labor Government.

Member for Euroa and Deputy Leader of the Nationals Steph Ryan said Labor’s Agriculture Minister Jaala Pulford would not answer questions about the future of the Expo in Parliament last week, but then rolled out a press release on the eve of Christmas saying it had been axed.

“This Labor government’s treatment of rural and regional Victorians is disgraceful,” Ms Ryan said.

“The Regional Living Expo has been a valuable way for councils to showcase their communities to people in the city, to attract new residents and families.

“Melbourne is bursting at the seams and we have so much to offer in regional Victoria, so the Expo was a great way to encourage people to make a tree or sea change.

“The Andrews Labor Government claims the annual Expo because is too expensive – yet it happily wasted $1.1 billion to not build the East West Link.

“Labor’s $1.1 billion wasted in Melbourne could have run the Regional Living Expo for more than 250 years.”

Ms Ryan said local councils including Benalla, Mitchell, Shepparton and Strathbogie had praised the Expo in the past for the benefits it brought to our region.

“Yet again this government has shown its contempt for rural and regional Victoria, with the Regional Living Expo joining the long list of axed programs including the Regional Growth Fund and the Country Roads and Bridges Program,” Ms Ryan said.

 

Together we can make a difference

Help build a better Euroa

Volunteer Now
Created with NationBuilder