Suspicious fire reignites questions about Seymour East site
17 June 2016
Friday 17 June 2016
A suspicious fire causing structural and smoke damage to the old Seymour East Primary School has highlighted an urgent need to act on the site’s future.
In Parliament last week Member for Euroa and Deputy Leader of The Nationals Steph Ryan drew the government’s attention to the incident and questioned the Finance Minister on the government’s plans for the site.
Ms Ryan said the fire was the second to occur at the site in the past 18 months and despite advice from the government indicating that a decision would be made in February, the community was still waiting on an answer.
“Residents of Seymour are becoming increasingly concerned over the state of the site,” Ms Ryan said.
“The building is falling further and further into disrepair and authorities are concerned about what will happen if nothing is done soon.”
Ms Ryan said she had questioned the government late last year over its apparent indecision on what to do with the site however nothing had been done.
“There is growing concern from local authorities and the broader community over increases in antisocial behavior occurring in the building,” Ms Ryan said.
“Aside from the fact that the site is going to complete waste, there is concern over occurrences of drug use, vandalism and squatting, not to mention the risk of further fire.”
Ms Ryan said on the Minister’s last advice, the site had been offered through the first right of approval process (FROR) which concluded in April last year with no interest.
“Given this was now over a year ago, I have again asked the Minister to provide clarification to the community as to what the government intends to do with the site,” Ms Ryan said
“The Seymour community has many ideas as to how the site could be used but at present it is simply going to waste and becoming more of a liability with each passing day.”